Warm Power Outlets: 3 Questions You Should Ask

Posted on: 18 June 2017

The modern Australian home relies on electricity to keep the many appliances and pieces of household equipment operational. However, as you add more and more power outlets to your residential electrical system, you may notice that some of them begin to feel warm. While a warm outlet does not pose an immediate danger to your home, it could be a warning sign that something is wrong with the electrical setup in your property. A faulty electrical system could cause damage to electrical appliances or could create a risk of fire. Below is a guide to 3 things you should check if you notice that an electrical outlet is warm:

Are the power outlets overloaded?

If you do not have lots of power outlets in your home, you may decide to use many power strips so you can plug in several appliances and gadgets simultaneously. However, while power strips are incredibly useful, they are easily susceptible to overloading as devices draw more power than is required. This excess power can cause the power outlet to warm up. If you notice that a power outlet which has a power strip connected is warm, you should unplug any appliances which are plugged in and allow the power outlet and strip to cool. You should then reduce the number of appliances or gadgets plugged into the strip.

Do you have the correct size circuit breaker?

A circuit breaker is designed to cut off the flow of electricity in a circuit to protect it from a power surge. However, if you do not have the correct size of circuit breaker installed, it may allow excess current to flow through the electrical system. This excess current can cause the power outlets in your home to overheat. This problem often occurs in older electrical systems in which the circuit breakers are not designed to handle the needs of modern gadgets and appliances. If you notice that the electrical outlets are warm, you should ask an electrical contractor to inspect your circuit breaker.

Is the wiring in good condition?

Electrical wiring in your homes can easily become damaged by water, pests or wear and tear. The damage caused can result in a short circuit. A short circuit can cause the power outlet to feel warm as excessive electricity passes through it. If you notice that the power outlet is warm, you should have the wiring in your home inspected.

Contact local electricians for more information and assistance.